This article intends to give an explanation of the possible consequences for Zaire of 25 years of Mobutist regime. This is important, because during the second republic there was a constant growth of a regime sui generis with fundamental characteristics that, in the near future, will have an important influence on thepolitical, social and economic events.
- The division of the enormous amount of power could result in heavy quarrels.
- For years, there has not been an independent political elite, so that the formation of such an elite in a short period of time will be very difficult.
- The patrimonialistic style of government has resulted in a political environment that is composed of informal networks and "dependent relations, with in the centre Mobutu.
- The continuing cycle of opposition and collaboration has brought severe damage to the image and credibility of the opposition. Besides, there is a big gap between the political elite and the population.
- The policy of ethnic mobilisation has increased the ethnic consciousness.
- Patrimonialism and parasitism have generated a pandemic corruption in all layers of the population.
- The policy of borrowing money has led to gigantic debts and the loans have not led to any development of the economic capacity.
- The insecure position of the political and economic executives has created a spiral of insecurity and corruption, which, on its turn, has created an dialectic of repression.
KEY WORDS: Mobutu, Political reforms, Zaire